Saturday, July 28, 2012

Listen to Your Elders.

Chances are good that they are over-medicated. They may sound a
little crazy but.then again, they may just be speaking the truth. I
would advise you to listen to them, and not necessarily to the doctors
or nurses.

My dear mother in law was in a nursing home for nearly 8 years. When I
would go visit, she sometimes had stories to tell me of things that
she saw on TV. One day she wanted me to guess who she had seen the
night before. I guessed
"Perry Como." She loved Perry. But she said, "No, not Perry. I saw
Celeste Holme
on Batman. She was Catwoman."

"Are you sure it was Celeste? Maybe she was dressed like a Nun. She
played a Nun
often," I suggested.

"NO. She was Catwoman...and a fierce one at that."

I should be ashamed to say that I laughed out loud.But she just told
me to look it up in the TV Guide. I told her you couldn't believe
everything in the newspaper. buy she assured me she had seen it with
her own eyes. The nurse said she had been taking El Dopo, a medicine
that gave patients hallucinations and I let it drop.

But when I got home, I told my wife and we had a good laugh about it.

"Was Bing Crosby in the movie?" my wife wanted to know. I should have
asked her.

The TV Guide was nearby and I didn't even have to look up last night's
listings. There was a four-color photo on the cover of
Celeste...=dressed as The Catwoman.

"Oh my God," I exclaimed. "I tried to convince your Mother that she
was a little dopey
to ever think that Celeste would be Batman's enemy. Of course, she
was known for
taking any part at that time in her life. I would have bet good money
that she was dead."

Well, now she IS dead. Thirty six years later. My Mother-in Law has
passed a long time ago so I can't really apologize to her. I am sure
she is in Heaven yelling down at me, "You SOB. I told you she was
Catwoman."

No comments: