Wednesday, October 17, 2007

MR. GOODFOOT

I am recovering from a stroke that paralyzed me on the left side.  With therapy I am learning to walk again but with the aid of a walker.  The walker does me no good on steps so I have to hold on for dear life and take one step at a time. Surprisingly I am suppose to lead with my bad foot first.
When it is safely in place, I follow with my good foot.  Going up, I lead with my good foot.
 
I got in the habit of saying aloud: "Bad foot first.  Now good foot".  And I started affectionately calling my right foot Mr. Goodfoot.
 
But then I feel psychologically I should stop calling he bad foot "bad".  It was like scolding a dog
for soiling the carpet.  "Bad foot.  Bad foot."
 
Really now, Mr. Goodfoot had not done anything to actually deserve being called Mr. Goodfoot,
although I certainly appreciate its support, literally and figuratively.  Yet it was truly just the regular foot that it had always been.
 
I felt as if I were undermining the comeback of my geek foot by calling it "Bad Foot".  I did know how to reward it.  Maybe I could yell, "Way to go boy," evereytime it made a step.  But
it still  needed a name of its own.
 
I decided to call it Mr. Not-So-Good-But-Getting-Better-All-The-Time Foot.  Of course now
I am much slower going down steps with that monoger.
 
 

No comments: