Sunday, August 20, 2006

The Famous Meatloaf Cook Off

My family is very competitive. We don't play touch football like the Kennedys when we get together. We have cooking competitions. Last New Years when we gathered with our family and some friends, we told everybody to bring their favorite meatloaf recipes. I don't know anyone who doesn't like meatloaf and I'm so happy that it has made a big comeback in even fancy restuarants. Everybody thinks their recipe (or their Mother's recipe) is the best. So we had everyone cook a meatloaf for which we offered prizes and trophies. My oldest daughter was in charge of organizing the cookoff. She eliminated me from the competition! I made MEAT MUFFINS, little meatloafs that were cooked in muffin tins. They were so cute and so tasty, and they cooked much faster than the normal loaf. But she said, "It's a meatLOAF competition, not a meatMUFFIN competition. You're out." Well it pissed me off because the meat muffins were eaten up like...muffins. My daughter knew my meatloaf would win...she eliminated me so she could win. She did. I have to admit that her meatloaf was pretty good...a Mexican Meatloaf. One of my other daughters made Greek Meatloaf (stuffed with feta cheese and spinach); another one made Italian Meatloaf. And a lot of the other people just used their Mothers' recipes and none of these even made it to the top three. Some of our health-nut friends made Tofu Meatloaf. They did not win. Nobody even wanted to taste it except them. You couldn't eat Tofu Meatloaf even with a bottle of catsup on it. In fact, their meatloaf got booed. My latest meatloaf venture is MEATLOAF WELLINGTON...it's a meatloaf wrapped in crescent roll dough...it not only looks beautiful, it tastes great. Once I made a meatloaf in a bundt pan. Once it's baked, you turn it out on a platter then fill the middle with peas and put mashed potatoes around the outside edges. I'm sure my daughter would eliminate this one, too.

No comments: