Sunday, August 20, 2006

An Untraditional Thanksgiving

I like traditional stuff for Thanksgiving...cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and a turkey that looks like a turkey. Last year my wife and I spent Thanksgiving with one of my daughters...since it was just the three of us, my wife instructed her to get a "turkey breast", not a whole turkey. My daughter found boneless turkey breasts that had been injected with Cajun spices...on the internet, yet. She wasn't sure how many people one breast would feed, so she got two. They were flat and rectangular; looked more like loaves of bread. They didn't look like anything we had ever had for Thanksgiving before. I complained just looking at them. I wanted something that looked like a turkey. So my daughter bought two wings and two legs which she tried unsuccessfully to hook to the double breasted flat breasts she already had. It was one weird sight! I decided to put two prunes on each breast piece, sort of like nipples. That improved the looks of it tremendously, although my wife and my daughter both insisted that turkeys don't have nipples. "You don't know," I said. "Maybe they do! This one certainly does." I"m glad to report that the turkey tasted much, much better than it looked. Now that tradition has been broken, my daughter is planning to have a Tur-Duc-Hen this year. What? You've never heard of a Tur-Duc-Hen? It's three birds in one...a turkey stuffed with a duck that has been stuffed with a hen. Poor things. We treat our barnyard birds with such disrespect. But it has Cajun spices so it will probably be delicious, too.

No comments: