Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Leave My Eggs Alone!

I was really pissed today to learn that CBS plans to put their logo and ads for Fall programs on eggs before they come to the store. First of all, I think they should pay the chickens. Those eggs are unborn chicks and the Moms should get paid if CBS is going to stamp the eggs with ads. Honestly...eggs are so beautiful...the perfect food WITHOUT ANY LOGOS. I'm telling you now, if I get a dozen eggs and they have CBS logos on them, I am going to the front of the store and pelt all the eggs at the manager. I would go to CBS headquarters and pelt the executives but with gas prices what they are, I can't afford to go that far. I hate those little stickers they put on fruits and vegetables. Chiquita started it all...branding bananas. Now the stickers are on tomatoes, peaches. lemons, nearly everything you buy. And they are a bitch to peel off...especially for the tomatoes. It rips the skin off of them. For the most part I am fortunate in that I have a Tomato Man who brings freshly grown heritage tomatoes to a market three times a week...all kinds...and colors. Some are almost black. Others are yellow, but when you slice them, they have a beautiful design of red inside. Others are knarled and ugly...freak tomatoes, and they are the best. You know the proper way to slide a tomato?? You sit it flat with the stem part on the cutting board...then you slide downwards. It conserves more of the juice and, thus, the flavor. Back on the Ad Front, the Wall Street Journal and other newspapers are planning to offer advertisements on the cover/front page. There's really nothing new about this...back in the l800's newspapers had ads on the front page. And frankly, I'd rather read advertisements than the current news on wars, serial killers and Hollywood stars. Well, I'm glad I got that off my chest. I'll try not to be so negative the next time. Right now I'm going to the fridge and check my eggs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its about time. Now I have a reason to turn on my computer in the am.