Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Here in the South, people have bottle trees in their yards. You find a dead tree, trim the limbs but leave a little stub. Then you dig a hole and put the tree in it. Next you hang colorful bottles on it. The concept is this: the upside down bottles catch all the evil spirits that might come in your yard and you are thus protected from bad stuff. I have a bottle tree made from iron...created by my friend Kevin Lawless, an Iron Man on Hilton Head Island. It's at my house in the mountains and it sure makes people slow down to take a second look. I was going to put all gold bottles on it. If found some Spanish Sherry that comes in gold bottles. I got a little tired of drinking Sherry after 5 bottles, so I opted to use blue water bottles and other colorful ones. When my friends from Maryland, Kristin and David, saw the tree, they wanted one immediately. Sure, they would. I'm certain they have lots of evil spirits floating around because they are...well, heathens, in the best sense of the word. I performed their wedding ceremony two years ago in a quasi-voodoo style because I am a quasi voodoo priest. They convinced my friend Kevin to not only make them a tree, but haul it all the way from South Carolina to Maryland...and install it for them. They wanted a BIGGER TREE...yuppies that they are...they not only stole my tree idea, they had to have a bigger one and a better one. Kevin outdid himself on this one...it holds 76 bottles (I told you they were heathens and have a lot of evil floating around their yard!). They started drinking and emptying bottles when they placed their order...so they were ready with empties when he arrived. I told Kevin he could call this his REDWOOD version. I think everyone should have a bottle tree...you can't be too safe with all the evil in the world today.

No comments: